23 March 2009

Spring Break, Daylight Savings, and Barbie


The children were on "Spring Break" last week. Normally I love school breaks and having them home, but I was anxious this time: worried about how they would occupy themselves in this new place. In the event, the week flew by and we had to arise early again this Monday morning and get them off to school - whereupon I sit here with my normal post break blues. Perhaps that's a good sign. The entire week was fantastically warm, and we managed some gardening and walks. Andrew played some sort of ball every day with Spencer. Sally and I did some shopping and library visiting.

The clocks went forward TWO weeks ago, which is preposterously early. At the end of March that extra hour makes little difference in terms of daylight, but at the beginning, it meant that we were back to waking up in total darkness. Horrid. Now it's just dawn again at 6:30 and tolerable.

I have been visiting my mother and, with the help of a book found in the library, we have been sorting out the Barbie doll collection that my sisters and I played with as children. What good children we were too, as most outfits are complete and in good condition. My grandmother sent us our Barbie Dolls for Christmas in 1961 with a generous set of clothes. Subsequent Christmases saw more clothes and we have 90% of the original vintage wardrobe. It was great fun putting all the outfits and their accessories together, and even more fun seeing, from this book, how much all this stuff is worth. Of course, it's all very well being told that "Friday Date" (the ensembles all have names) is worth $$$, but I know enough not to count my chickens. None-the-less, a conservative totting up put our collection at some $6000.

No comments:

Post a Comment