27 May 2010

Summer is Here


It’s disorienting somehow to think back to just over two short weeks ago and recall that snow was falling from the sky. We had two snowstorms in early May, and yet, on Saturday last week, I was helping out at the neighbourhood swimming pool, getting it ready for the kiddos to splash around. And, as it was a hot 80 something degrees, splash around they did.

They finished school last Friday, 21 May, and I’m so happy to have them home. Sally is trying to find a summer job in the hope that we can get an additional car for her when she obtains her drivers’ license sometime in July. I have signed Spencer up for a short ‘summer camp’ (for this is what the Americans like to call any arrangement for children during the summer months – even something like this five mornings in early June) called something like ‘Grow a Rainbow’ where he will learn a little about vegetable gardening.

Yesterday saw me making final preparations to my newly dug vegetable bed, where I planted a row of beets, carrots, spinach, and some spring onions. My pre-sprouted squash, cucumbers, and possibly some cantaloupe, are now fending for themselves in the garden along with tomatoes and my goodness it’s lovely to be out in the dirt.

I hedge with ‘possibly some cantaloupe’ because while I had the seeds nestled safely in their cells on top of the washing machine earlier, one of the cats decided to jump up and toppled the entire tray off onto the floor. Some of them had already sprouted, and I did my best to save what was there, but the labels, by then, were useless. I expect I will recognise them when they start fruiting

1 comment: