26 February 2009

So this is February

We have had the most tremendous weather recently, and today when I walked Spencer to school, it felt rather as if it was very very early, and therefore still cool, on a summer morning.  
Sunshine is definitely on the Glad to Be Here list.  

Sally and I were talking on the way to school (I take her in the car at 7:15 to her school, which is about 5 miles away, and then walk Spencer to his school, which is about a mile away, at 8am.) and remarking on what a lovely day it was, and how, on balance, we liked being able to see so much sky - it really enabled us to appreciate the clear days.  We both imagined her journey to school from Leigh to Tonbridge, with the roads enclosed on both sides with hedges and trees, the way ahead obscured by twists and turns, the sky most likely grey, and we imagined that there was probably quite a lot of rain and mud, and we both decided that we missed it, but not all that much.  It was the green that we missed, not the grey chill.
In contrast, when we leave our little subdivision, we turn onto a wide four lane road and can see ahead unobstructed for probably 3.5 of the 5 miles it is to her school - the mountains to the west, the sunrise to the east.  

I don't suppose this is usual weather for February - remarkably, I do not remember exactly what it was like here for my first 24 years, but we do not mind it now one little bit.

1 comment:

  1. Menopausal blues on a grey English day, the topsy turvy menopausal highs on an English sunny day. That's my view of life now.

    The Westerham (Kent/Surrey border, UK) churchyard, originating from the Doomsday Book period, has an amazing carpet of spring flowers, crocus and snowdrop. How comes the ones I planted in my front garden have disappeared whilst the ones in the churchyard spread year upon year.

    Kathryn - cheers for doing this blog thing, keep it up and keep that grey stuff masturbated (oooh did I say a rude word)!

    ReplyDelete